Since I only have one baby I feel like I still have enough time to get things done and it's still pretty easy to go out shopping and stuff with him. Especially since he is little still and I can pick him up and go. I look at mom's with 2 kids and think "how do they do it?"
What I've heard recently that surprised me about mom's with 2 kids is that some of them look at mom's with 3 kids and think "how do they do it?" You mean after you have 2 you don't have all the answers? lol
I'm guessing the answer to that question for mom's of 3 or more would be "we just do it".
I am also noticing that the more children that people have the less they seem to complain....at least it seems that way. Obviously it's not always the case. But how can this be? Wouldn't more kids cause more complaining? Aren't mom's with one baby complaining about every little thing already.....and how could anyone possibly have more than just one if one is so hard? Does it all depend on the baby.....or the person who had the baby and their level of tolerance and willingness to accept the changes that come with becoming a parent? I mean sharing about their struggles is one thing but there seems to be an epidemic out there of just plain whining.
Is it that the transition from having no kids to having one is the biggest adjustment and that's why there might be more complaints?
All I know is that it is refreshing to hear the positives from other parents.....and I'd much rather hear them brag about how great their kids are then hear about all the negatives. Maybe it's that in my generation we are more selfish. We aren't as willing to change for anyone.....a spouse.....or even a child.
Now I'm watching 19 Kids and Counting and I'm not only just asking "how do they do it?" but having to stop myself from asking "why?" and can't help but say "Wow!" It really puts having one baby in perspective for me.
I am still loving every minute of it and I hope that doesn't change no matter how many more children we decide to have.
I have heard a lot of mom's say, whom have 4-5 children say that it actually gets easier the more kids that you have. The older ones play with each other, help out with the babies (even if they are little themselves!), do chores ect.
ReplyDeleteI can say that going from 0-1 child was the hardest (for me at least!), everything is new, you aren't used to going off of little sleep and you have no friggin idea what you're doing :) No one tells you with the first what it's like to be peed on in the face (if you have a boy that is), that you will cry for the first 6 weeks of breastfeeding every time you feed your child (and not because it's an emotional sweet thing, no, it just bloody hurts), and you aren't prepared for the raging hormones that mess with your body and that a baby can scream for hours on end simply because of gas ect.
Going from 1-2, yeah, it's a change, and it's hard, but you know what is coming (kind of), and even if your oldest is 2 years old, they still help you and they will still entertain that baby. And when they get older, they play together and all the sudden you realize that you aren't needed 100% of play time anymore, you don't need to keep them entertained because they can do it themselves. And at some point, it's almost sad that you aren't needed as much at such a young age in their lives but it's a good change and it just, somehow, really does get easier!
Actually, I don't think we ever quit asking, "How do they do it?' When we contemplate going from one to two children our focus is on those who have two; going from two to three, the same thing......I suppose when the numbers get real high then there are fewer and fewer families to observe! But the question, "how do they do it?" applies to most circumstances we find ourselves in life.
ReplyDeleteBut concerning having children, one answer I can come up with ("how do they (or you) do it?") is, "I do it because I (we) WANT to!" I know there are situations where that statement wasn't solidified in an expectant mother's mind yet; but when possible decide that you are doing it (having more children) because you truly want to and will LOVE to, before that next baby comes.
You have a good point about human beings being selfish, and selfishness carries through to all generations......why do we think we would be willing to change, or sacrifice for a child if we won't for our spouse or(most importantly) our Lord? We can be a mom of 10 children and still be selfish.......it is an inner change.
So, when that next baby comes expect changes! Embrace the changes and look forward to them! And be content with your life as it is right now.
"Godliness with contentment is great gain." I Tim. 6:6